Saturday 16 April 2011

One bad week, Ain't No Doubt About!

This week in wrestling has been one very bad one. While it's ended on a high note, with Chikara's King of Trios happening. There's been some bad and I thought I'd share my view on them.

Now before I look at the bigger lose (in my view) I will look at the lesser. This week on Raw there was a surprise announcement and that was Edge, who was the current World champion, had to retire. Edge has been one of my favourites for years and is one of the biggest stars in the company and him leaving is a big lose to the company. He's been wrestling in the WWE for 13 years and I've seen everything. From his debut to his amazing tag team with Christian, to his break out into singles wrestling and finally to his push to the main event. I've witnessed it all. While this is a big shock and came from out of no where the fact is that it still wasn't that big of a surprise, the fact Edge was talking about retiring next year anyways, while we'll miss some potential feuds that could of happened the fact is there really not that much left to happen in that time.
The biggest problem is the gap that it's left in the company. Over the past 2 years WWE have lost many of there established main eventers and has left a huge gap. While there is very little doubt about Alberto Del Rio winning the World title soon, more likely at Extreme Rules, who can he feud with? Sure he can work with Christian and he may become the next main event babyface but there is still a big gap. It seems to be a case of wait and see.

Now to the bigger lose. At the beginning of the week I read that 'Sweet 'n Sour' Larry Sweeney was found dead at the age of 29. Sweeney was one of my favourite guys to watch and listen to. A big star on the indies and made a big splash in ROH as a manager. Sweeney showed how truly smart he was when it came to the wrestling business by doing something very few others could and that make himself a star while put as a manager, he reminded me of the old managers of the 80's like Bobby Heenan and Jimmy Hart, guys who nearly outshined the guys they worked with. I loved watching Sweeney wrestle and listening to him on commentary, he was so smart.
There are many things I remember about Sweeney. The numerous times he was ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television champion, it was really his belt and it didn't look right with anyone else. Sweeney's promos were always amazing to listen to. But some of the biggest things I remember was his last year, he seemed to disappear from wrestling all together for years but he returned to AAW wrestling and I remember watching his promos and thinking this is a whole new Sweeney. But the biggest thing and the thing that will stick with me forever is Sweeney's shocking return to Chikara at the Dark Cibernetico match. The crowd exploded and continued to go crazy for seemingly forever.

Wrestling has had a bad week, in my view, but like any bad thing you have to get used to it and move forward. But not after reflecting on what they gave to the business. At last nights King of Trios Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw gave a tribute in their match to Larry Sweeney and I expect to see some more from Chikara as Larry was one of their own.

I'll end this by saying that wrestling has had two big loses this week and it will take some time to get used to. Luckly Edge is fine and healthly, he'll be seen some more and that's for sure. But we've lost Sweet 'n Sour and he'll be missed, AIN'T NO DOUBT ABOUT! RIP Larry Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment