Friday 6 April 2012

Let's Just Talk

The simple act of cutting a promo seems to be a dying art by the simple fact that everyone is scripted and end up cutting a promo as if they are trying to remember what was given to them. Sometimes I love just watching promos to me a promo can build a program more than an actual angle so in this blog I decided to share some of my favourite memories and promo cutters. I'm also going to attempt adding videos again, wish me luck! Seriously wish me luck.


Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from Survivor Series 1996
No videos here as I can't find any that isn't the full match. Survivor Series 1996 was one of the first shows I got on tape and this match in particular stood out. The story was simply, Austin called out Bret as he wanted to beat the best. Bret was away from the WWE and when he returned he announced he wanted to face the best which was Austin. Simple and effective. And on the night the opening promo video was fantastic and then both got a chance to speak. Austin's promo was basically "You build Bret up as someone to be afraid off but I'm not." The best line was "A cliche's a cliche's and a Ass whipping is a Ass whipping". But it was Bret's that stood out to me, Bret has never been know for being a great talker but he was great here, "The one thing Steve Austin has going against him is that this is Madison Squared Garden and I meant it when I said it's not a church but it's Holy ground. Steve Austin you're going to learn that I'm not greedy for money, I'm greedy for respect and when all's said and done you will respect me". When you combined these promos with a fantastic match and you a very memoriable show!


Arn Anderson's Fall Brawl 95 Promo

I don't know the full story of the match but this was for Ric Flair vs. Arn Anderson, the two were part of the Legendary 4 Horsemen and looked at each other as legit brothers. I posted this in my groups a while back and the general view that everyone agreed with was that Arn was seriously underrated. He was a fantastic promo and this was a prime example of how good he was. Arn didn't bury Ric in this promo in fact all he did was explain why he felt that he had to win and put over just how important the match is overall. Simply a great promo that can teach others how they should cut a promo.

Tully Blanchards's Heroes of Wrestling Promo

Such a shame this promo was for such a awful show. Tully showed some serious anger which I'm guessing was legit after since he couldn't get back into WCW after he left WWE and WWE didn't keep him. This is another example of how Flair almost over shadowed every other horsemen. We all remember Flair as being a unbelievable promo guy but his team mates were probably one par with him. Enjoy this promo as it was the best thing on Heroes of Wrestling show unless you love a drunk Jake Roberts rubbing off a snake!

CM Punk

I could put his infamous promo from last year on here but I thought I'd share this forgotten gem. Punk is one of my favourite wrestlers and a bit of a idol to me (he's the P in my L.R.K.P tattoo and the K will also be mentioned later). Punk isn't only a great wrestler but probably one of the most consistent when it comes to his promo quality. His ROH promos were all great, his MLW promos were great and he's probably the best promo guy in WWE right now. I can't say enough how good I think Punk is and most people would agree with that opinion.

Jon Moxley

I feel that Moxley has a weird voice but that doesn't change the fact he knows the art of promos very well. Moxley has always come off as the second coming of the "Loose Cannon" and his promos are probably the key to that. The promo above sums up the Moxley character extremely well "Either I win the title or you put me out of my misery, either way I win!". I've only seen a little bit of his FCW stuff but it's still amazing and proves that when (not if) Jon get's called up to the WWE he will be ready and if they given him the mic he will make a great impact.

Steve Austin's ECW Promo

Do I really need to say anything! This promo is famous just because of how good it is. I don't even need to tell you the situation as Steve does it in the promo. I remember watching this on one of the many Steve Austin DVD sets and they included the camera turning to see everyone and Sandman yells "Wow! That was Fucking Awesome" and that sums up this promo really.

Dusty Rhodes Hard Times

I'm going to be honest I think Dusty was really overrated when it comes to his mic work. While I think his promos during his program with Flair, which this one was, were great. I found most of his promos made no sense and weren't that memoriable. I still think he was a good talker but he wasn't as great as people said he was. Anyways on to this promo and one of the reasons was because Dusty connected to the people by picking up on legit problems and relating that to his situation. Simple? Yes. Effective? Of course.

Ric Flair's Promo after Wrestlemania 8

This was one of the first Mania's I every watched, I borrowed it on video from the video store and I loved the Randy/Flair match. Even though I was young and didn't know much about wrestling I just loved that match. And this promo was so great. It really put over the situation and the image of Flair bloody but also a mix of calm and angry was awesome to see. This is the Flair you can't see today because he doesn't make sense today but this shows why Flair was as great as he was. On a different note if you have the time you should also check out Jake Robert's promo from the same Mania as it was great as well.

Eddie Kingston


The two promos above are two of my all time favourite promos ever. I love Eddie Kingston and his promos are probably a big factor in that. I love watching him work but I love to listen to him talk as much if not more. I could post so many promos from Chikara and if you're impressed with these please go on youtube and check out some of his other ones. I know the first promo pretty much word for word I've watched it so much as it just has a lasting impression, whether it was the words he was saying or the rain in the background it just sticks with me.

So there you go. There's a chance you will come on here, watch the promos and read the final paragraph and if you do it's fine. The purpose of this was to highlight some of my favourite promos and I hope you like them as well. If you do give this a read let me know what you think and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment