Thursday 13 September 2012

King of Trios is This Weekend!

Earlier this month I previewed the Battle of Los Angeles and said it was a big month for wrestling. So far Adam Cole beat Micheal Elgin in the finals of BOLA in what was said to be a fantastic tournament overall, in contrast Jeff Hardy won the Bound for Glory series at a awful PPV and a stupid decision overall (Bully Ray or Samoa Joe would of been better choices in my view). But this weekend has a lot going on, WWE will be holding Night of Champions were we will see CM Punk face John Cena (again) and Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio (again) this doesn't scream must watch to me. You know what does Chikara's King of Trios tournament! A 3 night tournament consisting of 16 teams of Trios (15 trios & 1 team of 4 this year). Usually this tournament produces some of the best wrestling you'll see all year. So lets start the preview. Now for this preview I'm going to focus on the tournament but I will look at the other matches already announced for Nights 2 & 3.
3.0 (Shane Matthews & Scott Parker) & Akuma vs. The Batiri (Kobald, Obariyan & Kodama): The odd combination of 3.0 & Akuma taking on the Batiri. The Batiri were originally under Kizarny's rule but he just disappeared and now Deliriou seems to be their leader and is building a army of his own. 3.0 & Akuma seem just odd to me, I get the feeling it's just something for Akuma to do and to help get him over as a face as 3.0 are super over. I have no doubt that this will be really good and will likely have comedy added into it well. When it comes to a winner I'm going with the Batiri. Really this is a toss up but I think it would be good to have that trio move forward and then you can get tag matches out of 3.0. Winners: The Batiri
Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw & Manami Toyota vs. The Swarm (combatANT, deviANT) & Soldier Ant: Chikara has always been great when putting on a big, long storyline that the fans get into just look at the BDK storyline but this year the whole Swarm invasion has been a major let down and needs to end. I don't know if it's the wrestlers who are behind the masks or the fact it started as a ROH/Chikara feud and went no where (it's the same in ROH). Now Soldier Ant is not a Swarm member the Director of Fun (the guy who "runs" Chikara) thought it would be a good idea to mix members of the Colony, who won King of Trios last year, with members of the Swarm as they are Dream teams. I think they want to remove the dream of the Colony repeating as King of Trios from the get go. Their opponents were in the tournament last year, and we're treated to Toyota again. Quack has been very vicious as of late and has lost matches against the Swarm for excessive violence and to be honest I could see this happening in this match. Soldier will be the odd man out and Jigsaw will not be able to stop Quack from going to far. This could work out as we have 2 Joshi teams in the tournament so they're dreams could come true and they could work Toyota the next 2 nights maybe. Winners: The Swarm & Soldier Ant
The Colony (Fire & Green Ant) & AssailANT vs. Team Sendai Girls (Dash Chisako, Meiko Satomura & Sendai Sachiko): I'll be honest I only slightly know Meiko Satomura from Team Sendai Girls, I imagine they're all talented but I just don't follow Joshi wrestling. I see this match going one way (I'll probably be wrong) but I see the Colony working with the girls and having a straight wrestling match and it would end with AssailANT taking advantage of one of the girls and stealing the win in a underhanded way. Who knows maybe we'll get the Colony vs. The Swarm and we could see Solider & AssailANT switching sides. If the girls advanced it would likely be to see an all Joshi match in the next round but you could do Joshi matches on the next couple of nights. Winners: The Colony & AssailANT
Osaka Pro (Kikutaro, Ebessan & Takoyakida) vs. FIST (Chuck Taylor, Johnny Gargano & Icarus): This will likely be hilarious, I love Kikutaro and I've seen Kikutaro vs. Ebessan which was just funny. I think all of FIST can do comedy wrestling well and more importantly when this match breaks down I think everyone can go really well. Different versions of these teams have faced off in King of Trios splitting wins in 2010 & 2011. This version of FIST actually got to the finals last year and the version with Akuma won King of Trios. To be honest I'm going with FIST here, for some reason I see Kikutaro vs. Colt Cabana happening during the weekend at some stage and I think you need a group like FIST to go deep in the tournament to help build up teams, since they've done so well in the tournament in the past. Winners: FIST
The Spectral Envoy (Hallowicked, Frightmare & Ultramantis Black) vs. The Submission Squad (Evan Gelistico, Gary Jay, Pierre Abernathy & Davey Vega): For those of you who don't know the Submission Squad had one match in Chikara, at King of trios a couple of years back (2010 I believe) and it was awful, it really just sucked and they created videos recently blaming the fans and saying they wanted to come back in, the story that got them in the tournament. The Envoy however are one of my favourite trios, Ultramantis is one of my favourite wrestlers and they are just super over in Chikara. This has to be the Envoy killing the Squad and moving on. They may have improved since that match but to the best of my knowledge they stay in ACW in Texas and that speaks volumes. Winners: Spectral Envoy
Team JWP (Commando Bolshoi, Tsubasa Kuragaki & Kaori Yoneyama) vs. The Throwbacks (Mr. Touchdown, Dasher Hatfield & Matt Classic): Mr. Touchdown is coming is as the Young Lions Cup champion. Before I get started I see Classic cutting a line about how women shouldn't be in the ring. Again I don't know anything about Team JWP, really don't follow Joshi wrestling. The Throwbacks have never moved on from the first round, that version had Sugar Dunkerton instead of Touchdown, so I think they will finally move forward this year. I think Touchdown is such a hot story in Chikara right now and is doing a great job as a heel even if Dasher is still a face, it really works how they do it and I'm just a fan of Matt Classic overall. Like I said earlier you can do Joshi matches on the other nights if they're eliminated in the first round but you could do one in the tournament itself, in fact my original idea was that being the first round but it was not to be. Winners: The Throwbacks
The Faces of Pain (Warlord, Barbarian & Meng) vs. Team Ring of Honor (The Young Bucks & Mike Bennett) w/Maria Kanellis: It's Team Internet Heat vs. Team Old. The Bucks and Bennett get so much hate online, you could argue for good reason. It should be noted that the Buck are coming in as Campeones de Parejas (the tag champions) and it's funny their team ROH since the Bucks don't work in ROH that often anymore. The Faces of Pain are all much older but still look like monsters. I basically see this match as the Faces of Pain destroying Team ROH and then Team ROH stealing the win somehow and moving forward. No offence to the Faces of Pain but asking for 3 nights out of them may be too much and the match quality wouldn't be great, it'll be a nice nostalgia moment but shouldn't be much more. Overall one thing will come out of this, I'll be happy to see Maria and to be honest I think the combination of Bennett & Maria work extremely well together. Winners: Team ROH
Team WWF (1-2-3 Kid, Aldo Montoya & Tatanka) vs. Extreme Trio (Jerry Lynn, 2 Cold Scorpio & Tommy Dreamer): Speaking of nostalgi this match is full of it. Last year at King of Trios Sean Waltman brought back the 1-2-3 Kid gimmick and stole the weekend, he worked his ass off and was amazing he's seriously under-rated in my book. Justin Credible has brought back the Also Montoya gimmick elsewhere but it looks awful, he needs to up his gear. Jerry Lynn is on his retirement tour. In all honestly I think this match will be amazing, I think it will be the main event on Night 1. Kid, Aldo, Lynn & Scorpio can all go and even Tatanka & Dreamer can work really well when in the right situation. When it comes to a winner it's hard to choose I can see either moving forward easily but I'm going with Extreme Trio, I think they can produce better quality matches with a variety of teams overall. I could actually see that Trio getting far, Night 3 easily. Winners: Extreme Trio
Overall Winners: The thing with trios, much like my preview of BOLA, is that you could pick one to win but on the shows anyone can steal the show and win the entire thing. But to me I'm going with the Spectral Envoy to win. They're a Chikara trio for one, so the win would boost them up in storyline, they're really over and Ultramantis has never won anything big in Chikara so I think it's overdue. You could do the Envoy vs. The Batiri to help build up the Mantis/Delirious feud going into the Cibernetico but like I said anyone could win.
Night 2
On Night 2 the Quarter finals will take place but another match has been announced. Eddie Kingston will defend the Grand Championship against Tadasuke. Tadasuke won the Young Lions Cup tournament last year and never lost the cup, do you know why? Because he never came back! The Osaka Pro wrestler would defend the cup 1/2 times in Osaka Pro but would never come back to Chikara until now, a major mistake in hindsight. This kind of spells out the finish and King will keep the belt.
Night 3
We'll get the Semi-finals and finals on this night but 2 more matches have been announced. First is "The Annual 10 Team Elimination Winner Stays On Overly Long Over the Budget Tag Team Gauntlet Match" only 2 teams have been announced an old school Chikara team and the remaining BDK duo of (Jakob Hammermeir & Tim Donst), the other teams will likely be revealed during the match. The second match is women's wrestler Saturyne vs. Ophidian, I think this will be good and it's main aim will be to show how vicious Ophidian has become. I don't see Saturyne winning.

That's my personal preview of King of Trios. I think this will be a fantastic tournament, like always and a must watch for wrestling fans. It will have something for everyone on all 3 nights. One thing I love is how little is revealed for the other 2 nights as it shows how important the first night is.

No comments:

Post a Comment