Saturday 26 February 2011

Musical Devotion and an 'addiction' thrown away.

2 points to this blog and both have something in common. So lets get started.

Earlier this week I watched the film Tenchi Forever! for the second time and really enjoyed the music, this lead to me getting the soundtrack and falling in love with it. It's probably one of the most peaceful and beautiful soundtracks I've ever heard. This made me realise what I've thought for a long time, I have such a love of music it's untrue. It got to the point where my iPod had a massive 3500+ tracks on it, I ultimately cleaned it up.

Now when it comes to playing music I'm not the best, will say that when I have a instrument in hand I can get a little tune out of it but nothing of meaning and nothing I can ever play again. Little funny story, one night when out with everyone a random drunk man came up to me and told me I should take up playing the guitar, now when a song I like is one I will mime playing it with my hand and I guess he saw that. He approached me several times just to tell me I had to play guitar. It was off putting but still pretty funny.

So to me music always plays a part in some of my favourite movies, games and more. If I love something then it will likely have a great soundtrack. The Dark Knight is a prime example, in the final scene which is one of my favourite scenes I remember the music just as much as what happened in the scene.
And when it comes to games one of my all time loves is Final Fantasy X which has a truly gorgeous soundtrack, whether it was 'Hurry' or 'Challenge' giving you that sense of urgency and rush during a battle. Or 'Basaido Island', 'The Sight of Spira' or 'Wandering Flame' helping to showcase the beauty of the atmosphere around you and the sadness of the story. Music helps make that game become even better and I can listen to some of those tracks for ages.

To me music plays another role which is that it can remind me of some great memories and can leave my mind to wander into my different things. For example the song 'From Dusk to Dawn' from the No More Heroes 2 game was a song that reminds me of one night in Leicester. I went to my friends Annabel's house for her house warming, after thinking I'd just stay for a few hours it lead to leaving in the early hours of the morning and I decided to walk back. As I walked back down a quiet path with the song playing several times and the sun slowly rising I thought it was very fitting, I think it fitted the situation really well and now hearing the song reminds me of the fun night and the walk back with such a great atmosphere.
The song 'Solar Eclipse Stage' from Super Street Fighter 4 lets my mind wander into a beautiful sunny day and there are many more that do that. I think of sitting on a park with friends with the sun shining and a slight breeze. There's so many songs that can let my mind wander which is something I like.

Music plays a major role in my life, I'm always finding new songs and they cover a variety of genres. As much as I think I would love the ability or the drive to learn to play a instrument I think it's one of the things it's probably best I don't do. I love to listen to music and I think being able to play might alter that somewhat, it might make me look into music for more details then I wanted. That sounds silly but I like doing what I'm doing when it comes to my love of music.

Now onto point 2 of this blog. Today I removed something that has been a part of my daily routine for a few years now and that the Mafia Wars game on Facebook. I got introduced to it when I first got facebook, you see I got Facebook because all my flatmates told me to get it so I did. I wanted to use it to pass the time and Mafia Wars helped with that. Now I loved the game, often going on repeatedly in each day. It did become some what of an obsession sometimes leading me to think about the game when I was away from the computer, thinking about how to use my energy and such. It was great fun and I really loved the game. But over the past few months the game transformed from fun to pure announce. There were making it so you had to do so much in so little amount of time that it wasn't fun, that combined with certain players focusing on their efforts to ruin my game it just wasn't worth it. The aim of the game was that the player should have fun and over time that just wasn't the case for me so it's now gone.
Since I've been a major player of the game for a few years now it is a biggest deal that it's gone and I thought it would take some time to get used to not going on and over today I have gone on Facebook from time to time thinking 'Why am I here?' and 'I'd usually check Mafia Wars now'. But I think that it'd will soon pass and I won't miss it one bit.

Well that's it. If you've taken the time to read this thank you for taking the time to do so and please let me know what you think or at least that you've actually read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment